Tuesday, July 9, 2013

STUFF

So, here I am, sitting on the train on my way to Los Angeles from our new home in a sleepy little beach community about 40 miles north of the city. It Really is sleepy, too. For a while I thought there were lots of homeless people there...but it turns out the sea breeze just makes you sleepy. I have struggled to stay awake just walking to my car. I have fallen asleep in the checkout line at the market. I have dozed mightily watering the plants. I am not quite sure how anyone gets anything done in our town, but I have noticed most everyone carries around a large can of Red Bull. The priest at our new parish takes huge swigs of the stuff between words during his homily. The crime rate here is incredibly low, too. We have a lot of criminals, but they nod off when they're being chased by police officers who wear special breathing masks that provide a continuous supply of non-beach city air. Half of our home is still under construction and has been for 43 years. The carpenters can only manage to drive one nail an hour.

By the way, a bear just tried to attack our train.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll eventually adapt to the slower pace of our new town. Okay...now the bear is running toward the back of the train. We slowed down a little and he almost got on and then the conductor went a little faster and the bear missed. Everyone is laughing. I guess they do this a lot. Okay, I just checked with the person sitting next to me. He tells me it's called bear-baiting. We just slowed down again and just as the bear almost climbed on the back we sped up again. Everyone is laughing again. I don't know. I think it's kind of mean. Oh we'll, I guess what Marvin Hamlish said was right; 'We're all different."

Not that you asked, but I've come to the conclusion that moving stinks. We Ruggs tend to stay in one place for a long while. So moving 20 years of stuff hasn't been very pleasurable. It's been icky. The last time I moved I was young and stupid. I did what all young, stupid people do when they move...get their friends to help. Now, 20 years older, I never got the memo that people my age hire people to move. It never occurred to me that people will actually put all your stuff in a truck and drive it to the new place, unpack it and then leave. I only realized this as I drove the UHaul truck back to the rental place after a day of lugging heavy furniture up endless flights of stairs with my saintly brother-in-law. I have promised myself that if we ever move again, I'm going all out. I'm going to hire the most expensive movers I can find and sip wine with friends as they go about moving everything. Wait a second...looks like the train slowed down a little too much. Great. Now there's a bear on board.

12 comments:

  1. Sure... you COULD have hired people to haul the Rugg fortune up north, but what good would it have done when the moving van reached the Sleep Barrier? Broken mink vases and Dick van Dyke pratfalls over ottomans a'plenty.

    Did you happen to unpack/stumble on any extra cels in the move? I'd still love a signed Rugg in the office...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy,

      Yes, I'm still going to do the cells on EBay! Didn't know the move would be quite so all-consuming. But soon! Sooooon!

      Delete
    2. I've travelled to the moon in a hot air balloon with an astronaut baboon since June, so I sure hope it's soon!

      Delete
    3. Huzzah! Keep your trusty Froynlaveners posted so that cels can be had for good cause stuffs!

      Delete
    4. Hey paul long time fan i hope this is the right paul rugg... Anyways, i was wondering if you heard about a game called Injustice: Gods Among Us and was wondering if you could somehow get Freakazoid! into that game somehow seeing as Freakazoid! never got a game of his own, being such a great character that he is. I believe its possible since both Freakazoid! And Injustice are both owned by WB.

      Delete
    5. Haha, if Freakazoid was in that game, I'd buy it immediately.

      Delete
  2. The way you write make it truly effortless to read. And the theme you use, wow. I want to follow up and let you know how great I treasured discovering your web blog today. I will consider it a real honor to operate at my workplace and be able to use the tips provided on your web page and also take part in visitors’ opinions like this. Should a position of guest article author become offered at your end, remember to let me know.



    Monitor children

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what IS your ebay account?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paul, just finished opening up the last box of my moving. Right on time for the 1st year on the new house! I moved here on 21st July 2012. It was so exhausting I took precisely one year -4 days to unpack the whole thing! Good luck again on the new house-life-sleepy town-thing. Sleepy town + wine = Italy. Is your town a little piece of Italy that got sucked from a hurricane and fell in California? Check if there is anyone speaking italian when people are not looking! Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving is such a bear. (odd that "bear" means something completely different than it did 100 years ago...)

    Are you sure the sleepy beach town isn't sleepy because of something else in the air? Duuuuude, I'm originally from a beach town, and there was a lot of, uh, "something else" in the air... and in the brownies. Had to be careful where you breathed and what you bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, if you've quite finished being eaten by a bear yet, please know that the blogosphere misses you.

    ReplyDelete